South Caribbean Region
Ahhh, the south Caribbean. Sea green, crystal clear waters, coral
reefs, surfing and a laid back nature make this a favorite for many travelers.
Can you hear the gentle beat of reggae music amidst the lapping surf? How about taking a dive or snorkeling in the clear blue-green waters and seeing colorful marine life swimming lazily around the coral reefs?
And if you're daring enough, you can try your luck at the infamous Salsa Brava surf break, the best break on the Caribbean side. But best of all you can do nothing at all and still have the time of your life! The South Caribbean region is known for its laid back, chill-out atmosphere where one can indulge in swinging in a hammock all day long.
Where is It?
Located along the Atlantic coast stretching south from Limon all the way to the Panamanian border and west to the Limon provincial border.
How's the Weather?
Warm, humid and wet, no distinct dry season
Average Temperature: 81°F with 87-90% humidity°
Get away from the hustle and bustle of daily life. Come to Cahuita to relax and enjoy life. Gallop down the beach at sunset, swim with tropical fish at Cahuita Point or spend the day with sloths ... Whatever your style, in Cahuita you don't have to do much to get the full experience.
- Cahuita National Park: Coral reefs, monkeys and hiking
- Aviarios del Caribe Wildlife Refuge - The only Sloth Rescue Center in the world!
- Diving & Snorkeling: Over 600 acres of coral lurks including 35 individual species of coral and 128 species of algae
- Chocolate Tour: Go on a chocolate plantation tour and indulge in your weakness!
Come to the activity mecca of the South Caribbean, Puerto Viejo! This coastal town is surrounded by tropical rain forests and offers travelers culture, relaxation and adventure. Don't forget to do some souvenir shopping, the street vendors have some unique handmade jewelry and crafts.
- Bribri Reservation Tour: Meet the indigenous BriBri at their Reservation
- Surfing the notorious Salsa Brava
- Eat at any of the exotic restaurants and try a flavorful Caribbean dish
You've reached the end of the rainbow: clear waters, pristine beaches, all kinds of water activities, and complete tranquility! Manzanillo is also home to one of the only orey and jolillo palm swamps found in Costa Rica. The beaches are spectacular and deserted most of the time.
- Gandoca - Manzanillo Wildlife Refuge
- Turtle Tours: See the leatherback turtle come ashore
- Dive and snorkel the crystal blue waters and check out the coral reefs - some are located right off-shore!
Back to Top
In the South Caribbean Region, you
- Cahuita's Black beach
- Cahuita's Playa Blanca
- Cahuita Point
- Puerto Viejo's Black beach
- Playa Cocles
- Playa Chiquita
- Playa Punta Uva
- Playa Manzanillo
Museums & Gardens
- Bribri Reservation
- Butterfly Gardens
- Cacao Trails
- Chocolate Farm Tours
Popular Parks & Reserves
Other Protected Areas
Barbilla National Park, Cuenca Rio Banano Protected Zone, Hitoy - Cerere Biological Reserve, Limoncito Wildlife Refuge
Back to Top
In the South Caribbean Region, you this:
- Bird and Wildlife Spying
- Diving and Snorkeling
- Turtle Tours
Adventure & Recreational Activities
- Canopy Tours
- Horseback Riding
- Sea Kayaking
- Sport Fishing
- Swimming at Waterfalls
- Whitewater Rafting & Tubing
Read About Other Regions:
Back to Top
Inside South Caribbean Region » Cahuita