Hitoy - Cerere Biological Reserve
Where is It?
219 km (136 mi) from San Jose (37 miles south of Limon City), South Caribbean coast
How Big is It?
When was it Created?
April 27, 1978
Did you Know?
- This is one of the most rugged and unexplored parks in Costa Rica, protecting the foothills of the Talamanca Mountains.
- Its rich river basin habitat houses tapirs, jaguars, sloths, monkeys, armadillos, pacas, deer and many more mammalian species.
- Exploration of this park is for the experienced hiker who knows how to get by in the jungle.
- Plentiful rainfall assures full flowing pristine waterfalls.
How's the Weather:
Hot and humid year round.
Average annual temperature:
29 C (84 F)
Average annual rainfall: 3,500 mm (137 in.)
There is only one ranger station. It is open daily from 8am to 4pm. There are no other facilities and the trails are generally poorly maintained.
- Hiking for the seasoned hiker through unexplored terrain.
- Bird and wildlife spying are popular activities with more than 300 species of birds in the park.
The trails are unmarked and difficult.
The best marked trail is the Espavel Trail, 9 km (6 mi.).
Wildlife & Plants:
In the Tree tops:
The world above the tree tops is rich with mammals and birds.
- Four-eyed opossum
- Two and Three-toed sloths
- More than 300 species of birds including vultures, chizo parrots, slaty-tailed trogons, red-lored parrot, hummingbirds, Montezuma oropendola, and many more
- Neo-tropical river otter
- Green iguanas
- Howler monkeys (are heard frequently) and white-faced monkeys
- Frogs: poison dart frog, tree frogs and toads.
And if You're Lucky:
- Red brocket deer
- Yellow pit vipers
- Baird's tapir
- Collared peccary
How do I Get There?
Contact us for a specialized tour.
- It is hot here! Wear cotton or quick-dry clothing. Bring sunscreen, a hat, a bandanna, plenty of water and insect spray (mosquitoes and no see-ums can be bad).
- Get in touch with the Minae office for trail conditions. Due to rains some trails can get flooded out.
Contact us to help organize a jungle adventure. We can help you find camping gear and transportation.