North Caribbean Region
The port city of Limon is ripe with different cultures, cuisines, carnivals and restaurants specializing in Caribbean cooking. Just north of here is Tortuguero, where emerald forests teeming with wildlife and 22 miles of protected black sand beaches welcome the endangered green sea turtle from July until October. Intricate networks of freshwater canals and wetlands bordered by dense rain forest create an ideal environment for a multitude of wildlife from great blue herons to howler monkeys, toucans and sloths.
Barra del Colorado is just 1.5 hours north by boat and is one of the top sport fishing locations in the world known mostly for its tarpon and snook.
Book a three day / two night trip to Tortuguero, or a Barra del Colorado fishing trip to Rio Colorado Lodge. Contact us for more info
Where is It?
The regions is on the Caribbean (Atlantic) coast of Costa Rica from Limon north to the Nicaraguan border. It is bordered by the Caribbean Sea to the east and to the west by the western provincial border of Limon.
How's the Weather?
Warm, humid and wet, no distinct dry season
Average Temperature: 81°F with 87-90% humidity
The tiny village of Tortuguero, only accessed by boat or plane, is located on a thin strip of land between the Tortuguero River and the Caribbean Sea. Aside from its magical scenery, Tortuguero has the largest green turtle (Chelonia mydas) nesting population in the Western Hemisphere. Take a turtle tour from July - October, and if you're really lucky, you just might see the little hatchlings go out to sea. Contact Us for a tour right for you.
- Turtle Tours
- Bird & Wildlife Watching
- Tortuguero National Park is so abundant with wildlife that it will keep you coming back for more and more.
- EARTH University: A tropical agricultural research center on a rain forest reserve with a museum, medicinal herb garden,
banana plantation and a paper recycling plant.
- 3 day / 2 night trips are available to several different lodges in the Tortuguero area. They include round-trip transport from San Jose, lodging, meals, guided tours -- Starting at $265pp. Learn More
Barra del Colorado
Barra del Colorado, a sport fishing haven rated as one of the top ten places to fish in the world.
- Monster tarpons (100 plus pounds) and two species of snook that can be fished year-round
- Barra del Colorado Wildlife Refuge: the largest wildlife refuge in Costa Rica with over 50 kilometers of canals, rivers, lagoons and marshlands.
Back to Top
In the North Caribbean Region, you
- Tortuguero's 22 miles of deserted coast where four species of sea turtle come ashore to nest; the green (Chelonia mydas), hawksbill (Eretmochelys imbricata), leatherback (Dermochelys coriacea) and loggerhead (Caretta caretta) sea turtles
Museums & Gardens
EARTH University: A tropical agricultural research center with students from all over Latin America, includes a rain forest reserve, medicinal herb garden, banana plantation and processing, and recycled paper-making plant
The Caribbean Conservation Corportaion (CCC): Located in the village of Tortuguero. Marine turtle conservation, biology classes and volunteer opportunities, Contact us for more info
Popular Parks & Reserves
Other Protected Areas
Cariari National Wetlands, Dr. Archie Carr Wildlife Refuge, Pacuare Matina Forest Reserve, Rio Pacuare Forest Reserve, Tortuguero Protected Zone
Back to Top
In the North Caribbean Region, you this:
Adventure & Recreational Activities
- Canopy Tours
- Canoeing & Kayaking
- Sport Fishing
Read About Other Regions:
Back to Top