North Pacific Region
This is the white sanded beach and five-star resort region of Costa
Rica where the famous Gold Coast beaches,
world-renown golf courses and
some of the country's most famous surf breaks are located. With the
international Liberia airport just an hour or less away from many of
these attractions and thanks to the completion of the Tempisque River
Bridge (The Friendship Bridge, funded by Taiwan), this region of Costa Rica is quickly becoming one of
the most visited and most accessible areas. Don't forget
about the bubbling mud-pits of Rincon de la Vieja and the world famous
Coco Island, made famous by Jacques Cousteau for its abundant marine life and spectacular diving.
Where is It?
On the north Pacific coast of Costa Rica, extending from the Nicaraguan border south to the port town of Puntarenas, including all of the Nicoya Peninsula and extending to the east to the Guanacaste Mountains. It also includes several islands in the Gulf of Nicoya and the Isla del Coco.
How's the Weather?
Warm and dry from November / December until April or May, the rainy season runs from May - October
Average Temperature: 82°F and moderately humid; coastal daytime average: 91°, mountains: 70°
The Gold Coast
Miles of pristine, white and black sanded beaches, secluded coves and five star resorts mark this stretch of the northern Nicoya Peninsula's coast. Some of the Gold Coast's most popular beach destinations are Playas Coco, Potrero and Conchal, Papagayo Bay, Flamingo, Playa Grande and Tamarindo. It is also home to several of the countries world-class golf courses and some of the most beautiful national parks.
- Top notch resorts and spas
- Santa Rosa National Park
- Surf camp and professional surf instruction
- A tour to see the endangered leatherback turtle lay her eggs on Playa Grande
- Getting a hole-in-one at one of Costa Rica's best golf courses
Liberia and the Surrounding Area
Liberia is the metropolitan capital of Guanacaste with many amenities including an international airport, plenty of hotels, restaurants and shops. Surrounded by volcanoes (Tenorio, Miravalles and Rincon de la Vieja) and tropical dry forest, you will drive through savanna-like plains where cowboys still live the traditional ranch lifestyle. How about an African safari? A visit to Costa Rica's "Africa Mia" would be a great way to spend an afternoon in Costa Rica. Contact Us for more info
- Taking a dip in the bubbling mud pits at Rincon de la Vieja
- The Sabanero (cowboy) culture and horseback riding. Take a hacienda ranch tour. This is where the majority of the country's cattle thrive.
- A visit to Africa Mia, Contact Us for a safri
Southern Nicoya Peninsula
This part of Guanacaste is also home to gorgeous secluded beaches surrounded by lush tropical rain forests. Places like Samara, Nosara, Malpais, Montezuma and Tortuga Island are some of the most notable destinations here. The town of Nicoya is Costa Rica’s first colonial city and was once the center of Chorotega culture - pre-Columbian people from the Olmecas of Mexico.
- Magnificent sunsets at any one of the peninsula's beaches, many of which are secluded and often deserted
- The Olive Ridley sea turtle at Ostional Wildlife Refuge
- The oldest church in Costa Rica in the town of Nicoya
- Surfing in Malpias, or surf lessons in Samara
Just two hours from San Jose, this port city is a popular stop with cruise ships. Just tour “Tourists Avenue” with dozens of shops, markets and street vendors and you’ll find all this and more. Or, make an adventure day of it and visit the Adventure Park with canopy tours, waterfalls, horseback riding, ATV's and more. Day trips to proximal Gulf islands are available too. Contact Us to make a reservation.
- A day trip to Tortuga Island
- Strolling along Puntarenas' boardwalk filled with tons of restaurants, shops, markets and street vendors
- A visit to the only aquarium in Costa Rica, the Pacific Marine Park...Great for kids!
Back to Top
In the North Pacific Region, you
Popular Gold Coast Beaches:
- Playa del Coco
- Papagayo Bay
- Playa Ocotal
- Playa Flamingo
- Playa Conchal
- Playa Grande
- Playa Tamarindo
Popular Central and Southern Nicoya Peninsula Beaches:
- Playa Langosta
- Playa Avellana
- Playa Ostional
- Playa Samara
- Playa Santa Teresa
Playa Pochotes, Playa Naranjo, Playa Panama, Playa Hermosa, Playa Ocotal, Playa Pan de Azucar, Playa Brasilito, Playa Junquillal, Playa Guiones, Playa Garza, Playa Buena Vista, Playa Carrillo, Playa Bejuco, Playa San Miguel, Playa Coyote, Playa Caletas, Playa Bongo, Playa Manzanillo, Playa Balsitas, Playa Camarita, Puntarenas, Playa Azul
Learn more about north Pacific beaches.
Museums and Gardens
- La Casona at Santa Rosa National Park (Costa Rica’s most important historic site)
Back to Top
Popular Parks & Reserves
- Las Baulas National Marine Park
- Rincon de la Vieja National Park
- Palo Verde National Park
- Ostional Wildlife Refuge
- Cabo Blanco Absolute Reserve
- Santa Rosa National Park
- Coco Island National Park
Other Protected Areas
Barra Honda National Park, Camaronal Wildlife Refuge, Curu Wildlife Refuge, Diria National Park, Ensenada Wildlife Refuge, Guanacaste National Park, Guayabo Island Biological Reserve, Isla Bolanos Wildlife Refuge, Laguna Las Camelias Wildlife Refuge, Las Pumas, Monte Alto, Negritos Islands Biological Reserve, Nicolas Wessberg Absolute Natural Reserve, Pajaros Island Biological Reserve, Romelia Wildlife Refuge, Tenorio National Park, Tenorio Protected Zone, Werner Sauter Wildlife Refuge
Hot Springs & Mud Baths
- Las Pailas- bubbling mud pits, hot springs, geysers
- Day tours of Miravalles to its mud pits and hot springs
- Rincon de la Vieja - take a volcanic mud-bath and waterfall tour.
Contact Us for more info
- Blue Lake Waterfall (90 ft. high)...it's blue because of the copper in the water... located at Rincon de la Vieja National Park
Back to Top
In the North Pacific Region, you this:
- Bird and Wildlife Spying
- Diving and Snorkeling
- Turtle Tours
Adventure & Recreational Activities
- ATV Tours
- Canopy Tours
- Horseback Riding
- Hot Springs
- Rafting & Tubing
- Sea Kayaking
- Sport Fishing
Read About Other Regions:
Back to Top